The ALIENS ARE COMING!
For our Christmas program, (yes, I said Christmas program) we need 9-10 Alien costumes (yes, I said Aliens) so I’ve been busy working on a prototype. Here’s version #2. The fabric is uber-light and stretchy, which gives the odd, arched shape when it’s stretched as the trim is attached.
I started with a sleeveless tank and shorts which I cut and sewed without a pattern. I sew enough that I often don’t use a pattern on something this simple. I usually just get the right proportions by folding a t-shirt in half and cutting out the shape based on that. Ditto with the shorts, using a pair of pants or sweats I already own.
The trim is simply round pipe insulation which is pre-scored so you can easily split it open. <Home Depot guy, you rock!>
I cut it in half, hot glued it to the fabric. (IMPORTANT NOTE: I stretched the fabric as I went along).
I tried spray painting this trim with neon green spray paint, but then the costume lost the cool color contrast between the green and grey (the trim just faded into the costume) and the spray paint flaked off. Badly. in. a. big. mess.
I asked one of our Alien dancers to wear it at rehearsal one night, and it was comfortable, moved well, and because the trim is soft foam, it didn’t hurt or create a problem with movement when she rolled around on the floor for some of the choreography.
My boss (Creative Arts Director at Rocky Mountain Christian Church – Phil Christian) asked that the dancer’s faces not be visible, so I needed to make a head-piece of some sort that the dancers could see through, but would disguise their faces.
The first version of the costume was a TOTAL FLOP in my opinion. I didn’t like the trim or the fit, or the helmet, which was based on a 1960’s flight attendants’ accessory made by Italian designer Emilio Pucci.
1960's flight attendant uniform was my original inspiration
I really disliked the first prototype. It was very time-consuming, and inhaling melted plastic fumes is not my idea of a great way to spend the day. I originally made the helm by using two dollar-store plastic serving bowls. The bowls were clear, but I decided to spray paint them… they ended up looking like 1970’s green tupperware which was an early indication that this plan was doomed.
I cut out a face opening and a neck hole, figured out a way to “hinge” it with velcro so it could be opened and closed, hot-glued the seam, and added some tree tinsel. Blech. It just looked trashy, not cool – and we have some really cool young dancers on our “Crew-X” so I wanted them to look like Judy Jetson, not some spacey version of Elmer Fudd. 🙂
I wanted a scooped collar and waist piece, but without using stiff interfacing or corset stays it was a floppy disaster… Here’s the idea I abandoned…
See what I mean? Great kid, but the costume misses the mark.
I decided to abandon the helmet idea, and go with a simplified (and surprisingly less expensive) head-piece made of foam. I used egg-crate foam; the type you use to pad a camping cot, which I already had on hand. In this photo, it’s not complete, but you can get the general idea. I assembled it from strips of the foam alternated with strips of the pipe insulation trim, hot glued together. The final version is spray-painted neon green, but I don’t want to reveal the final product until the Christmas Program is over… so you can look for it in a future post. Here’s the idea, though…
Using tulle to cover the face lets the dancer see out, but effectively veils the face.
These are a little more “Predator”-looking than Marvin the Martian-looking, but I’m hoping it will all come together in the final assembly of all the pieces. I’ve added a collar to the uniform and am hoping to find some inexpensive leotards and tights in bright green or grey to complete the look. The dancers are going to wear knee pads, which they will provide, and I will either make matching fabric covers for, or simply spray paint them. Shoe covers are in order as well, because our dancers will be wearing athletic shoes, not ballet slippers.
I’ll post the final project when it’s all finished, but thought this would be a good time to post the general idea since Halloween is just around the corner and my blog gets so many hits from people looking for costume ideas.