The Jester's Hat
An upcoming RUSH HOUR script calls for one of the characters to wear a Jester’s hat. So I came up with this.
I found some great fabric earlier this summer at … where else? WALLY WORLD! I think I picked up about a yard each of four different designs. I used a needle and thread, fabric, hot glue, glue gun, shredded paper, poster board, pom poms, my iron and sewing machine.
Here’s the how-to…
These are the basic fabric pieces needed for the "horns." Cut 4 from one fabric, and 4 from a contrasting fabric.
With right sides together, and LEAVING THE BOTTOM OPEN, I sewed the horns. I clipped the curves so they would look nice when I turned them right-side-out.
I stuffed the horns with shredded paper. I don't ever expect to need to wash this hat, if I did, I would have to use cotton batting, or poly-fill as a stuffing. Shredded paper is cheaper. 🙂
Sewed two contrasting "horns" together into two pair of horns.
And the two ...
... shall become as one.
Traditionally, there would be bells on the points of the horns, but as an actor, I CANNOT STAND a costume that makes noise I cannot directly control 100% of the time, so I went with hot-gluing some pom-poms on instead.
I added more pom-poms to add silly-ness and to cover the hand-stiched seams.
I cut out fabric to make a hood. Notice a hood pattern that will have long flaps to tie under the neck or behind the head is shaped like half a heart shape.
right sides together, stitch the hood across the crown of the head, leaving about an inch at the "forehead" and a good long open bit at the back of the head. That will 1) make the hood easier to hem, and 2) create "flaps" that can be tied under the chin like a scarf or around the back of the head like a "dew rag" to hold it steady.
Hem the hood. I like to iron in a hem and then zig-zag stich it. These will be used infrequently and don't have to stand up to much abuse, so I can cut corners on the sewing and save buckets of time.
All along, I kept trying things on, removing stitching, adjusting the angles and fit, etc.
Stitch the horns to the hood at the points indicated. I hot glued the center of the horns to the hood, so there was no need to stitch around the entire crown of the head. Just securing it firmly with stitching in four places was enough.
So far so good. Still need to add the crown. Here it is tied like a scarf below the chin.
And here's the same thing tied at the back of the head like a 'dew rag." It's still looking a little Carmen Miranda, though, gotta add the crown.
I covered some posterboard with cloth (remember, this will never be laundered, or I would have had to use very heavy interfacing instead. I attached this to the piece (it can be sewn) and voila!
Fun project. The more outlandish the fabric the better I think. I have to go now, you should SEE the mess in my kitchen! And it’s time to “rinse and repeat” because I need another one because our church has two campuses.